Henryetta began when Hugh Henry arrived in the area in 1885 and discovered coal in the creeks.The land where he pitched his tent belonged to the Creek Nation, 1 of the 5 Civilized Tribes.Since he was part Creek, he established his ranching operations using the coal he found to fire the forge of his smithy.
Coal Business Those coal deposits came to the attention of businessmen back east, and soon the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway, the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad and the Okmulgee Norther Railway opened several active mines throughout the area.
Furrs Settlement A settlement called Furrs started next to the mining operations. On August 28, 1900 a post office opened with the official name of Henryetta. The name came from resident Henry G. Beard and his wife, Etta. City Government
In 1901 a city government was formed, and Olin Meacham served as the first Mayor.
Economy Coal, oil, natural gas and agricultural products provided the economic base for the town during the 1st part of the 20th century. Within the first 9 years of its existence, there were 14 coal mines operating here that provided a $70,000 payroll.
This is the only known photograph of Hugh Henry.
The Hugh Henry house with its native rock wall still stands today looking over the valley that has become Henryetta.
Further Economic Growth More
economic growth came to the community in the next 20 years. There were
23 industrial plants that included a dozen coal mines, broom factory,
several brick factories and a bottling plant.
Smelter & Ore Deposits Eagle
Pitcher opened a smelter in Henryetta that took advantage of ore
deposits found in the northeastern part of Oklahoma. Soon there were
over 700 workers producing most of the free world's supply of germanium.
That rare metal proved to be invaluable in the burgeoning transistor
and diode industries.